- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 lb rhubarb trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 12 oz strawberries hulled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
Before You Begin
- If using frozen strawberries, there's no need to thaw them completely; you can chop them as soon as they're soft enough. If using frozen strawberries and frozen rhubarb, you may need to increase the stovetop cooking time by up to 4 minutes. Depending on the amount of trimming required, you may need to buy more than 1 pound of rhubarb to ensure that you end up with 3½ cups.
- FOR THE TOPPING: Whisk flour, panko, sugar, salt, and cinnamon together in bowl. Add melted butter and stir until no dry spots of flour remain and mixture forms clumps. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- FOR THE FILLING: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Toss all ingredients in large bowl until thoroughly combined. Transfer to 10-inch oven safe skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until fruit has released enough liquid to be mostly submerged, rhubarb is just beginning to break down, and juices have thickened, about 8 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Squeeze topping into large clumps with your hands. Crumble topping into pea-size pieces and sprinkle evenly over filling. Bake until topping is browned and filling is bubbling around sides of skillet, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Serve.
Recipe by America's Test Kitchen