- 4 green tomato medium
- 1 3/4 tsp salt course
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 2 eggs large, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup flour all-purpose
- 2 cup breadcrumbs panko
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 cup olive oil
- aioli for serving, optional
- Trim 1/2-inch from the stem and blossom ends of tomatoes. Slice tomatoes 1/4-inch thick.
- Season tomato slices with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper; set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and milk; set aside.
- In a second shallow bowl, whisk together flour, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper; set aside.
- Place panko in a shallow bowl along with cornmeal, remaining 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper; stir to combine and set aside.
- Working with one tomato slice at a time, coat tomatoes with flour mixture, shaking off excess. Coat with egg mixture, followed by breadcrumb mixture. Transfer to a wire rack set over a parchment-lined baking sheet; repeat the process with remaining slices.
- Heat 1 cup of oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Working in batches, carefully place tomatoes into the heated oil in a single layer. Fry until golden, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- After frying half of the tomato slices, discard oil and heat remaining 1 cup of oil in a skillet; continue frying remaining tomato slices.
- Serve tomatoes immediately with aioli.
Note: Be careful when placing in hot oil, tomatoes are wet.
Recipe by Tiziana Conte, Abma's Farm Head Chef